About Me

My photo
Performing & recording artist Edward Hale has taught guitar for the University of Alaska, Music Works Northwest, Seattle Symphony Children's Education Department, Bellevue Community College, Anchorage Community College, Rogue Community College, and the Alaska Fine Arts Academy. Ed Hale is the founder of "A Chord of Tradition" and has performed on television and radio including PBS and NPR. Recent international radio broadcasts of his guitar compositions can be heard on Billy Hale's highly acclaimed CD "Tales Thrice Travelled" and the soundtrack to the film "El Reporte". We are also happy to announce "Punto De Control" received the Director's Choice Award: Best Puerto Rico Feature at the Cannes International Film Corner 2012 with original soundtrack composed by Billy Hale, and featuring original guitar music composed and performed by Edward Hale. Punto de Control, written and directed by David SaldaƱa (Teatro Supernova) was also chosen for the 2012 Vegas Indie Film Festival. http://billyhalemusic.com/ New CD "Cradle of the Sky" Billy Hale with Edward Hale. Available from CD Baby, I-tunes, etc.!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Question: Should I play guitar left-handed or right-handed?

Question from Anonymous: Should I play guitar left-handed or right-handed?

I'm left-handed, but I'm currently learning how to play guitar right-handed.

For one, all of my friends with guitars are right-handed, so it is easier to borrow their guitars, and to copy what they are doing.

Secondly, I like that my hand on the fretboard is more coordinated than my other hand.

However, I know that Jimi Hendrix played left-handed, and I wonder if I should too. I think my rhythm would be a lot better...

Anonymous.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Answered by Edward Hale.
 
A very good question to ask!
 
The short answer is, based on my experience, I would recommend for most "lefties" to go with a right- handed guitar!

Personally, I am left handed and I find playing RIGHT-HANDED to be an advantage for left hand fingering dexterity. I do think there is something about the right hand that "feels right" for bringing the sound out of a plucked instrument. That would be "right" (true) for plectrum style (electric or acoustic) classical, flamenco, or folk fingerstyle.

Also, it is interesting that many cultures with some of the oldest musical traditions are adamant that the right hand is the generator of the [musical] spirit and should produce the sound of plucked instruments. It is as though they are saying that the breath is in that hand.

Flamenco tradition comes to mind here with its richness of meaning and nuance, its emphasis on the "spirit" that comes alive in the combined enactment of music, dance, and poetry. The right hand rasqueado (strumming) and punteado (plucked articulation) beckons and fans the flame (spirit) of singers, dancers, and participating listener.

One could say in this context that the left hand facilitates the specific modality and regulates (the possible) modulations through the contingent "musical worlds" that are manifested, and so on. But the right hand is the active principle that "wills" and "creates" the sound.

But we can look at this practical question of whether to go "right or left" much more simply.
Andres Segovia, the legendary Spanish classical guitar performer, phrased his response (affirming the same right handed recommendation to lefties) in the form of a question:

"Are there any left handed pianos?"

There is much more to say about questions of developing as a muscician and I welcome any questions and responses.

Edward Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment